Skip to main content
Mobile Menu Toggle

Frequently Asked Questions

Personal and Sick Leave 

Q: How many personal days can I take in a row without being “docked,” and what days are prohibited personal leave days?
A: Three consecutive days are allowed per absence period. An employee will be docked the daily rate of pay for each consecutive personal day taken after the allowable three consecutive days. Personal leave days must be approved at least three days in advance, and are allowed throughout the year with the exception of the areas listed on page 32 of the HPISD Employee Handbook.  Click HERE for forms.  
Q: If I have to be out for personal reasons, what leave is allowed? 
A: Only personal leave is allowed for personal reasons. Sick leave cannot be taken for personal absences. 
Q: If I have to be out for a funeral, what leave should I take? 
A: Sick leave can be used for immediate family only. For any other family members and friends, use personal leave.   
Q: What is the procedure for obtaining approval for a medical leave of absence? 
A: Employees must follow district and department or campus procedures to report or request any leave of absence and complete the appropriate form or certification. Any employee who is absent more than five days because of a personal or family illness must complete and submit FMLA forms; including medical certification from a qualified health care provider confirming the specific dates of the illness, the reason for the illness, and—in the case of personal illness—the employee’s fitness to return to work. 

Payroll and Insurance

Q: What do I do if I have a question regarding my paycheck, direct deposit or insurance?
A: For any questions about payroll, please contact HPISD Payroll Specialist Patti Mallow at 214-780-3023 or  For questions about insurance/benefits, please contact HPISD Benefits Manager Laura Weaver at 214-780-3010 or

Q: What do I do if I have a question regarding changing my name or address?

A: Change of name, address and W-4 forms are found in the Human Resources Dept. section of the HPISD website under Forms. Complete these forms and submit them to the Human Resources Office. Copies of a new social security card are required for name changes. Click here for more information.

Master's Degree and Stipends 

Q: What are the district guidelines for earning a Master’s degree?

A: A Master’s degree must be earned within seven years of beginning employment with HPISD. A degree plan must be filed during the first year, and the degree must be in the teacher’s teaching field or an associated field in education.  Any other field must be approved by the Superintendent or designee.

Q: What assistance is available to help me finance the Master’s degree?

A: The campus PTA members generously award scholarships to selected teachers enrolled in Master’s degree programs.  HPISD does not provide any assistance towards obtaining a master's degree.

Q: Am I eligible for a stipend if I have graduate hours above a Master’s degree?

A: Yes, you may be eligible if the courses are approved. HPISD awards professional growth stipends to teachers who have acquired 12 to 24 hours above a Master’s degree.  Only those hired prior to July 1, 2017, are eligible to receive compensation for hours beyond a master's. Reference the HPISD Employee Handbook, page 23.  


Q: To whom should I report substitute teacher concerns?

A: Report any concerns regarding substitute teachers to the campus principal immediately.


Q: If I have a maintenance issue, what is the appropriate procedure to follow?

A: Contact the building engineer or custodian. They will complete a work order and submit it to the district facility services department. The repair will be completed in a timely manner.

Use of Electronic Media With Students

Q: What are the district’s expectations of my information posted on Facebook, Twitter and other websites?

A: Electronic media includes all forms of social media, such as text messaging, instant messaging, electronic mail (e-mail), Web logs (blogs), electronic forums (chat rooms), video-sharing Web sites (e.g., YouTube), editorial comments posted on the Internet and social network sites (e.g., Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, LinkedIn). Electronic media also includes all forms of telecommunication such as landlines, cell phones and Web-based applications. 

As role models for the district’s students, employees are responsible for their public conduct even when they are not acting as district employees. Employees will be held to the same professional standards in their public use of electronic media as they are for any other public conduct. If an employee’s use of electronic media interferes with the employee’s ability to effectively perform his or her job duties, the employee is subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment. If an employee wishes to use a social network site or similar media for personal purposes, the employee is responsible for the content on the employee’s page, including content added by the employee, the employee’s friends, or members of the public who can access the employee’s page, and for Web links on the employee’s page. The employee is also responsible for maintaining privacy settings appropriate to the content.