Every day counts in the education of a student. Therefore, when it is necessary for a regular classroom teacher to be absent, it is essential that the classwork continues at the highest level possible.
- All substitutes were previously required to hold a BA or BS degree, but we are now requiring a minimum of 48 college hours or an Associate's degree. A teaching certification is not required. All nurse subs must have an RN license.
- The rate of pay for a substitute teacher and paraprofessional positions is $95.00 per day.
- Pay will increase to $100.00 per day once you substitute for 10 days for the same Employee Type. (i.e. Teacher or Paraprofessional)
- Substitute Nurses are paid $145 per day.
- Long-term substitute rate for consecutive days applies only to teaching positions, not paraprofessional positions.
- 11-20 is $110 per day
- 21 or more is $130 per day.
Step 1: Complete the online application for substitutes found here: Substitute Application
- Once your application is submitted our office will be in contact regarding the next steps.
- After you have completed the application and our Substitute Office has been in contact, you will be sent a link to complete the following steps.
- NOTE: If you have not received an email within 72 hours of your application outlining the next steps, then HPISD may not have received your application.
Step 2: Public School Works
- You will be required to complete several required online courses through Public School Works that may take a few hours. This must be completed each school year.
Step 3: Fingerprinting
- All substitutes are required to be fingerprinted by Texas state law to be allowed to work in a public school. The cost for the fingerprinting is just under $50. The district will not reimburse applicants for fingerprinting expenses. Previous fingerprinting that you may have completed for a real estate license, nursing license or daycare will not be accepted by the state. If you are certified to teach in the state of Texas and have been digitally fingerprinted for certification purposes, we will be able to acquire the results quickly.
- Once Public School Works and Fingerprinting have been completed and verified by our office you will be sent the new hire onboarding documents electronically.
Step 4: Onboarding
- Once onboarding documents have been completed you will then be invited to attend an orientation.
Step 5: Orientation
- All of the above steps must be completed PRIOR to registering to attend an orientation. We will have a minimum of one orientation per month depending on the number of applicants.