Report a Bullying Incident
Log-in changes for Safe2SpeakUp: The anonymous reporting app, Safe2SpeakUp (S2SU) has changed its log-in procedure. To log into the mobile app, students must use their HPISD email address (for example: email@example.com) as their username and their student ID number as their your password. Students should notify their assistant principal if they experience any difficulty logging in.
David’s Law, an anti-bullying measure passed by the Texas Legislature, was implemented during the 2017-18 school year by Highland Park Independent School District. The law is named after a student from Alamo Heights ISD in San Antonio who took his own life after an incident of cyberbullying.
Among other things, David’s Law:
- expands the definition of bullying to include even a single significant act;
- expands the definition of bullying to include cyberbullying, which includes acts outside of the school day if the effects transfer into the school day. It also expands the ability of law enforcement to charge cyberbullying as a misdemeanor when certain criteria are met.
- requires every school district throughout the state to put in place a system that allows students to report bullying anonymously.
To meet the anonymous reporting requirement, Highland Park ISD will use both this website and a mobile app called Safe2SpeakUp. In addition to allowing students to anonymously report bullying, students will be able to report other incidents that they may witness or become privy to at school. Reported incidents will be investigated by the school administration and, if necessary, the district’s police department.
Students using the Safe2SpeakUp app can confidently report safety risks with the option of remaining anonymous. This provision allows students to do the right thing while remaining discreet.
Safety is a shared responsibility, and having every student and staff on board will help us keep our school safer. We encourage you to talk with your children about the Safe2SpeakUp app.
How to get started:
1. Your student can download the Safe2SpeakUP app from Google Play, Apple’s App Store, or Chrome Web Store.
2. Their account username and password will be created through our school’s implementation process, and school administration will be able to provide them with their username and password.
3. After logging in, they will automatically have access to the tips and message groups available. They will also receive emergency communications from school on their smartphone if an incident occurs.
The District prohibits bullying, including cyberbullying:
- On school property;
- At school-sponsored or school-related activities on or off school property; or
- In any vehicle being used for transporting students to or from school or a school-sponsored or school-related activity.
Bullying is not tolerated by the District, and any student or parent of a student who believes that the student or another student has experienced bullying or that a student has engaged in bullying is encouraged to immediately report the incident. Retaliation against anyone involved in the reporting process is a violation of District policy and is prohibited. Students or parents may report an alleged incident of bullying, orally or in writing, to a teacher, school counselor, principal, or other District employee.
Students or parents may contact the District to obtain an Incident Report Form that may be used to submit the report. Reports may also be made via a web link or via the Safe2SpeakUp app. A student may report the incident anonymously.
Please note that after submission of the report to the District employee, the District will notify the parent of the alleged victim and the parent of the alleged bully. The District may assign the report to a campus administrator to follow up on the submitted report and any other important matters pertaining to the report. We encourage you to communicate with your designated campus administrator during this time.
More information about the district’s bullying policy can be found in the campus administration office or in policies FFI(LEGAL) and FFI(LOCAL).