If you legally change your name because of marriage, divorce, court order or any other reason, you must tell Social Security so you can get a corrected card. You cannot apply for a card online. There is no charge for a Social Security card. This service is free.
- Complete the Social Security Application.
- Take or mail your application and documents to your local Social Security office.
- Obtain a new social security card with your new name on it.
- Provide a copy of the new social security card information to the Human Resources Department.
- Provide a copy of your new driver's license with your new name on it to the Human Resources Department.
Once the above documents are received, HR will:
- Update your legal name in the employee management software system and your personnel file.
- Update your email address to correspond with your new name.
- Update your Employee Access information with your new name.
Other changes that may need to occur with a name change:
- Update your address on file
- Change your name on your educator certificate or license
- Change your beneficiary with TRS
- Change your beneficiary with your life insurance
- Add or remove a dependent or spouse from your health insurance plan (This must be completed within 30 days of the date of the event.)
- Change your number of dependents on your W-4 form.
- Change your direct deposit account information