Skip to main content
Mobile Menu Toggle

Name Change

If you legally change your name because of marriage, divorce, court order or any other reason, you must tell Social Security so you can get a corrected card. You cannot apply for a card online. There is no charge for a Social Security card. This service is free. 
  • Complete the Social Security Application.
  • Take or mail your application and documents to your local Social Security office.
  • Obtain a new social security card with your new name on it.  
  • Provide a copy of the new social security card information to the Human Resources Department.
  • Provide a copy of your new driver's license with your new name on it to the Human Resources Department.
Once the above documents are received, HR will:
  • Update your legal name in the employee management software system and your personnel file.
  • Update your email address to correspond with your new name.
  • Update your Employee Access information with your new name.
Other changes that may need to occur with a name change:
  • Update your address on file
  • Change your name on your educator certificate or license
  • Change your beneficiary with TRS
  • Change your beneficiary with your life insurance
  • Add or remove a dependent or spouse from your health insurance plan (This must be completed within 30 days of the date of the event.)
  • Change your number of dependents on your W-4 form.
  • Change your direct deposit account information