Exclusions from School
It is the goal of Highland Park ISD to provide an environment that is conducive to learning for all students and staff. Some communicable diseases or conditions may warrant exclusion from school to avoid exposing other students. If your student exhibits any of the following symptoms, please keep your student home until the child is free of the symptoms and has been satisfactorily treated.
- Temperature of 100 degrees or above
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea
- Persistent cough
- Open, itchy or draining lesions
- Red, itchy, draining eyes
- Untreated scabies
- Suffering from a reportable disease, as defined by the Texas Board of Health
- Undiagnosed scaly patched on the body or scalp.
- Your child must be free of fever (without Tylenol or Advil), vomiting, and/or diarrhea for 24 hours before they return to school. Also, newly prescribed antibiotics must be taken for 24 hours before returning to school.
- Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze with the inside of your elbow.
- Avoid touching your eyes and nose.
- Wash your hands frequently for 15-20 seconds (about the same time as singing "Happy Birthday" twice).
- When soap and water are not available, alcohol-based disposable hand wipes or gel sanitizers may be used. These can be found in supermarkets and drugstores.