Commitment to Inclusion & Respect
Highland Park Independent School District has given considerable time, thought and effort to improve how students and staff feel welcomed, included and respected at all of our schools. Task forces made up of parents, students and staff were created to study 1) how students and staff learn about understanding and valuing diversity, 2) the district’s current climate and culture and 3) district policies and procedures.
Mark your calendars for this year's Inclusive Schools Week.
December 3-7, 2018
Prior to the 2017-18 school year, all district administrators were updated regarding the work/feedback from each of the task forces.
- Every HPISD staff member was given an opportunity to learn what steps have been taken and was also given an opportunity to provide additional feedback.
- The HPISD Board of Trustees approved this year’s student code of conduct, which includes strengthened language related to the mistreatment of others.
- Each campus principal included the district’s statement of nondiscrimination in every student handbook. The statement is also included in the district handbook that is posted online.
- An anti-bullying guide has been provided to each campus administrator.
- All staff members will now be trained once a year on how to recognize and handle bullying behavior.
- The district is in the process of adding an app (Safe2SpeakUp) and web link for anonymous reporting of bullying and other incidents.
Thoughtful response from our students, staff and community are important in finding ways for every student, every day to feel welcomed, included, and respected in HPISD. The collective wisdom in this community makes us better and stronger as a school district and provides excellent ideas for continuous improvement.
- Rebecca Black
- Ting Cai
- Jon Dahlander
- Carol Dalton
- Kate Engel
- Amy Genender
- Vicky Glikin
- Priscilla Hazen
- LaManda Mallard
- Elisabeth McHugh
- Maria del Pilar Melgarejo
- Georgianna Moreland
- Chris Murzin
- Todd Rakestraw
- Greg Rico
- Asiya Roland
- Fatima Ruiz
- Marla Sewall
- Jennifer Sorrells
- Marla Williams
- Lisa Wilson