Highland Park ISD - Special Olympics Information
Eligibility: Students ages 8-22 that have intellectual disabilities and/or “functional limitations in both general learning and adaptive skills.” “Developmental disability is the term most often used to describe persons with both limitations.” (2006 SO Texas SIG)
Sports Offered: Bowling (Fall), Basketball (Winter), Track and Field (Spring), Tennis (Spring), Soccer (Spring), and Aquatics (Summer).
- Bowling - Individual, ramp, and team bowling
- Basketball - Individual skills and team competition (younger 8-14, and older 15 & up)
- Track and Field - Running, walking, throwing, and races for students in wheelchairs are a few examples of athletic events.
- Aquatics - Various races using proper strokes
- Tennis - Individual skills competition, singles, and doubles
- Soccer - Team competition