HPISD's 2022-23 HPISD school calendar was approved by the Board of Trustees at its Dec. 14 meeting. The adopted calendar calls for school to start on Wednesday, Aug. 17 and to end the school year on Friday, May 26.
The calendar was developed by a committee comprised of district administrators, principals, the lead high school counselor, two Teachers of the Year and a trustee.
The 2022-23 calendar contains two differences from previous calendars as a result of feedback provided by staff and parents:
- Out of an abundance of caution and in the interest of student safety, the committee reached a consensus that campuses should be closed to students during the 2022 general election. Tuesday, Nov. 8 will be utilized as a professional development day for staff and a holiday for students.
- Staff feedback suggested that the four student early release days for grades K-6 and two student early release days for grades 7-8 used as staff professional development be combined into one full day to accommodate better learning opportunities and vertical teaming. The Tuesday, Nov. 8 staff development day will replace the early release days.
The approved calendar complies with the state requirement to provide a minimum of 75,600 instructional minutes, the equivalent of 175 seven-hour days, and 187 teacher contract days.
The start date complies with HPISD's District of Innovation plan, which states that "Preference will be given to starting instruction around the third week in August with assurances to the community that it will not begin prior to the second Monday in August."
A proposed calendar draft was sent out in an email survey to gather feedback from parents, teachers and staff. 657 responses were received and, after consideration of the feedback, the committee recommended the current calendar to the Board of Trustees for approval.
The calendar includes:
- A holiday for students and staff on Labor Day, Monday, Sept. 5
- A student holiday/professional exchange day for staff on Monday, Oct. 10, which is Columbus Day
- A student holiday/professional development day for staff on Tuesday, Nov. 8, which is Election Day
- Thanksgiving break for students and staff from Monday, Nov. 21 through Friday, Nov. 25
- A winter break for students that begins on Saturday, Dec. 17 and extends through Monday, Jan. 2, which is a professional development day for staff
- A holiday for students and staff on Monday, Jan. 16 for Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- A student holiday/professional development day for staff on Monday, Feb. 20
- A spring break for students and staff that would run from Saturday, March 11 through Sunday, March 19
- A student holiday/professional exchange day on Friday, April 7
The calendar also includes two bad weather make-up days, which are required by the state, on Friday, March 10 and Monday, April 10. If no bad weather make-up days are needed, those days will be holidays for students and staff.
Members of the 2022-23 Calendar Committee included:
- School Board Trustee Bryce Benson
- Superintendent Dr. Tom Trigg
- Bradfield Principal Regina Dumar
- UP Principal Candi Judd
- HPHS Principal Jeremy Gilbert
- MIS Principal Dr. Skip Moran
- HPMS Principal Dr. Chris Miller
- Lead Counselor Mindy McMinn
- Assistant Supt. for Ed Services Lisa Wilson
- Executive Director of HR Brenda West
- Chief of Staff Jon Dahlander
- Communications Adm
- HPHS Associate Principal Dr. Erica Redman
- Fine Arts Representative Natalie Walker
- Assistant Director of Communications Tammy Kuykendall
- Athletic Director Johnny Ringo
- Director of Student and Administrative Services Cristy Hirsh
- Elementary Teacher of the Year Savannah Vardell
- Secondary Teacher of the Year James Jenkins