The first day of the 2021-22 school year is Wednesday, Aug. 18 and the last day of the school year is Friday, May 27. The calendar was developed by a committee comprised of district administrators, principals, the lead high school counselor, Teachers of the Year and a trustee.
The adopted 2021-22 calendar complies with the state requirement to provide a minimum of 75,600 instructional minutes, the equivalent of 175 7-hour days, and 187 teacher contract days. The start date complies with HPISD's District of Innovation plan, which states that "Preference will be given to starting instruction around the third week in August with assurances to the community that it will not begin prior to the second Monday in August."
A proposed calendar draft was sent out in an email survey last month to gather feedback from parents, students, teachers and staff. 2,161 responses were received, and after consideration of the feedback, the committee recommended the calendar adopted by the School Board.
The calendar includes:
A student holiday/professional exchange day on Oct. 11, which is Columbus Day.
- A Thanksgiving break from Monday, Nov. 22 through Friday, Nov. 26.
- A winter break for students that would begin on Saturday, Dec. 20 and extend through Monday, Jan. 3.
- A student/staff holiday on Jan. 17 for Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
- A spring break that would run from Monday March 14 to Friday, March 18.
- A student holiday/professional exchange day on Friday, April 15.
- Two bad weather makeup days on March 11 and April 18. If no bad weather make-up days are needed, those days will be holidays for students and staff.
- Early-release days for grades K-8 for staff planning and professional development.
Grades K-8 will remain on a nine-week grading period, and the high school will continue to use a six-week grading period.
Members of the 2021-22 Calendar Committee included:
- School Board Trustee Jae Ellis
- Superintendent Dr. Tom Trigg
- Armstrong Principal Betsy Cummins
- Hyer Principal Debbie Burt
- Boone Principal Amanda Reyes
- HPHS Principal Jeremy Gilbert
- MIS Principal Dr. Skip Moran
- HPMS Principal Dr. Chris Miller
- Lead Counselor Mindy McMinn
- Assistant Superintendent for Education Services Lisa Wilson
- Executive Director of Human Resources Brenda West
- Chief of Staff Jon Dahlander
- HPHS Associate Principal Dr. Erica Redman
- Fine Arts Coordinator Linda Raya
- Director of Academics and Support Services Lydia Walden
- Assistant Director of Communications Tammy Kuykendall
- Assistant Superintendent for Business Services Mike White
- Athletic Director Johnny Ringo
- Director of Student and Administrative Services Cristy Hirsh
- Elementary Teacher of the Year Sara Meeks
- Secondary Teacher of the Year Bobby Leidner
Click here to view or download the 2021-22 school calendar.