Passport to Spanish
The mission of Highland Park ISD’s Foreign Language in the Elementary Schools (FLES) program is to develop a globally competent learner for the future by providing an excellent foreign language program at a critical time in a student’s development. Since the initial focus of the FLES program is Spanish, we are calling the program Passport to Spanish.
Research indicates that students in FLES programs experience enhanced brain development and increased creativity, along with problem-solving skills and higher-order thinking skills. The development of basic communication skills in the target language support and enrich other content areas.
Our goal is to introduce a second language to our students to allow them to enjoy the many benefits of an early acquisition. During the 2017-18 school year, we are continuing Spanish instruction with kindergartners through 3rd grade students at all elementary schools. There will be two 30-minute classes every week, giving students 60 minutes per week to gain effective proficiency in second language acquisition. With each subsequent year, the program will extend to the next grade so that students will receive continuous instruction in Spanish through sixth grade. Passport to Spanish will reach full implementation, grades K-6, beginning with the 2020-21 school year. Upon entering seventh grade, the K-6 program will dovetail with the existing foreign language program. Beginning in the 2017-18 school year, after-school enrichment opportunities are being made available to Passport to Spanish students.
Program Goals and Beliefs
- To enhance the development of listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in Spanish and English
- To develop high-order cognitive skills
- To support content area instruction at each grade level
- To promote global awareness and cross-cultural understanding
- To develop increased proficiency in all aspects of the language with each year of study
- To meet district, state, and national foreign language standards
- To strongly support the Highland Park Independent School District Mission Statement, the HPISD Profile of the Learner for the Future and the Global Connections Program