COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions
What is COVID-19?
Who is at risk?
Early reports from China show some people are at a higher risk of getting very sick from the virus. This includes:
- Older adults
- People who have serious medical conditions like:
- Heart disease
- Lung disease
The CDC reports no evidence that children are more susceptible.
What are the symptoms?
Symptoms can be mild to severe respiratory illness with:
- Shortness of breath
What can I do to prevent the virus?
- Wash your hands regularly for 20 seconds or more, or use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when sick.
- Be fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications prior to returning to school
- Cover your mouth or nose when coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Practice other good health habits like drinking plenty of fluids, eating well and getting adequate sleep.
What travel restrictions does HPISD have in place?
HPISD will follow the CDC’s criteria for locations with significant numbers of the virus. Currently, families and staff planning travel to any widespread affected area should report travel plans. These countries are updating at a quick pace. Use the CDCs website as a guide to determine the updates. If families or staff travel to a an affected country, individuals should self-quarantine for 14 days upon return to the U.S. as recommended by the CDC.
The CDC recommends travelers, particularly those with underlying health issues, postpone all cruise ship travel at this time. If you are traveling by cruise ship during the COVID-19, please review this webpage and let your school’s principal know. Staff should let their building supervisor know.
How do I report travel?
What if I travel to a location that currently is not listed as an affected country, but is now?
How long are HPISD schools closed?
Can my family still use the school's playground equipment during the closure?
If someone in HPISD is diagnosed with COVID-19, what are the district’s next steps?
What is HPISD doing to protect students and staff?
Will HPISD implement distance learning during the closure?
What does self-quarantine mean?
What is the policy for making up missed work from being self-quarantined?
What does this mean for state assessments?
Why am I not getting emails sent by the school district?
Will students have to make up the days missed while school was closed?