1950-1959: A Decade of Growth and Resilience
The 1950s brought significant change to Highland Park ISD as the district continued to expand alongside the growing Park Cities community. New schools, facilities, programs, and traditions emerged during a decade marked by optimism, opportunity, and a commitment to preparing students for a rapidly changing world.
As enrollment climbed, district leaders invested heavily in campus improvements. Additions were constructed at Armstrong and University Park Elementary, a new administration building opened on Westchester Drive in 1951, and plans were developed to expand classrooms across the district. These improvements helped ensure HPISD could continue providing high-quality educational opportunities for its growing student population.
One of the defining moments of the decade came on November 26, 1951, when a devastating fire destroyed much of Armstrong School. The loss could have disrupted the district for years, but the Highland Park community responded with determination. Churches, homes, and temporary classrooms were opened to students while reconstruction took place. Superintendent W.B. Irvin even entered the burning building to rescue important district records. Less than two years later, Armstrong reopened, serving as a powerful symbol of the community's resilience and commitment to education.
The decade also brought new leadership. In 1954, Frank Monroe became HPISD's third superintendent and would go on to serve the district for the next 20 years. Known for his enthusiasm for students, school spirit, and community involvement, Monroe helped strengthen traditions that remain part of HPISD today, including the Victory Apple pep rally tradition.
Student life flourished throughout the 1950s. Girls were welcomed into the Highland Park High School band in 1951, and by 1957 the Lassie Bagpipers officially became part of the band program. Students earned national recognition through academics, music, ROTC, and leadership activities, while increasing numbers of graduates qualified as National Merit Scholars. In 1957, graduating seniors wore caps and gowns for the first time, replacing the formal attire traditionally worn at commencement ceremonies.
Athletics also reached new heights. Building on the success of the previous decade, Highland Park football captured the 1957 state championship, further strengthening the Scots' reputation across Texas. The district's commitment to excellence in academics, fine arts, and athletics helped establish a culture that continues to define HPISD today.
As America entered the Space Age and the Civil Rights Movement began reshaping the nation, Highland Park ISD continued evolving to meet the needs of its students. By the end of the decade, the district had expanded its facilities, strengthened academic programs, and positioned itself for continued success in the decades ahead.
Key Milestones
- 1950 — Construction begins on additions to Armstrong School.
- 1951 — HPISD Administration Building opens on Westchester Drive.
- 1951 — Girls are allowed to join the Highland Park High School band.
- November 26, 1951 — Fire destroys much of Armstrong School.
- 1952–1954 — Armstrong students attend temporary classrooms while the campus is rebuilt.
- September 1953 — Armstrong School reopens following reconstruction.
- 1954 — Frank Monroe becomes HPISD's third superintendent.
- October 1955 — Highland Park Junior High receives the Freedom Medal for outstanding citizenship.
- 1955 — National Merit Scholarship testing begins; HPHS students earn national recognition.
- 1957 — Lassie Bagpipers officially become part of the HPHS band.
- 1957 — Highland Park football wins the state championship.
- 1957 — Graduates wear caps and gowns for commencement for the first time.
- 1958 — Additional classrooms and fine arts space are added to Armstrong School.




