1920-1929: A Decade of Tremendous Growth
The 1920s brought remarkable change to Highland Park ISD and the rapidly growing Park Cities community. As automobiles replaced horse-drawn transportation and new neighborhoods spread across the area, the district entered a period of expansion that would shape its future for generations to come.
In 1920, H.E. Gable became Highland Park ISD's first superintendent, a position he would hold for the next 25 years. Working closely with parents, community leaders, and the School Board, Gable helped guide the district through one of the most significant periods of growth in its history.
Community support remained a defining characteristic of HPISD. When district leaders identified the need for a larger lunchroom, library, improved drinking water systems, and expanded physical education facilities, the Armstrong PTA stepped forward. Through rummage sales, candy sales, and community events, volunteers raised the funds needed to establish a lunchroom at Armstrong School in January 1921. In doing so, they began a tradition of PTA-operated cafeterias that continues across HPISD campuses today.
As enrollment surged, new schools quickly followed. Highland Park ISD purchased land for its first high school in 1920, and Highland Park High School opened on Normandy Avenue in 1922. The new campus gave local students the opportunity to complete their education close to home rather than traveling into Dallas to attend high school. The district celebrated another milestone in 1924 when its first graduating class crossed the stage, marking the culmination of a vision that had begun only a decade earlier.
The growth of the Park Cities mirrored the growth of its schools. University Park incorporated in 1924, SMU continued to expand, and families flocked to the area. Enrollment increased by roughly 200 students each year throughout the decade, creating the need for additional campuses. Bradfield Elementary opened in 1926, followed by University Park Elementary in 1928, helping relieve overcrowding at Armstrong and ensuring students could attend school closer to home.
The 1920s also saw the emergence of many traditions that remain part of HPISD today. The first Highland Park High School football team took the field in 1923, and that same year the school's first band was organized. When Coach Floyd Betts arrived in 1923, he changed the school's mascot from the Coyote to the Highlander and introduced the blue and gold colors that continue to represent Highland Park schools today. Cheerleaders soon joined the sidelines, helping establish a vibrant culture of school spirit.
Beyond athletics, students found opportunities to lead and serve. The Highland Park High School ROTC program began in 1924 and quickly became one of the most respected organizations on campus. By the end of the decade, it had grown into the school's largest student organization, while the band earned recognition as one of the top ROTC bands in Texas.
As the decade came to a close, Highland Park ISD had transformed from a single-school district into a thriving educational system with multiple campuses, a high school, a growing alumni association, and traditions that continue to define the district more than a century later.
Key Milestones
- 1920 — H.E. Gable becomes HPISD's first superintendent.
- January 1921 — Armstrong PTA opens the district's first lunchroom, beginning the tradition of PTA-operated cafeterias.
- 1922 — Highland Park High School opens on Normandy Avenue.
- June 2, 1924 — HPISD celebrates its first graduating class.
- 1924 — University Park incorporates as a city.
- 1924 — Highland Park High School Alumni Association is established.
- 1924 — HPHS launches its first ROTC unit.
- 1923 — First Highland Park High School football team and band are formed.
- 1923 — Coach Floyd Betts adopts the Highlander mascot and blue-and-gold school colors.
- 1926 — Bradfield Elementary opens.
- 1928 — University Park Elementary opens.
- 1928 — HPHS ROTC becomes the largest student organization on campus.




