Highland Park ISD - Special Olympics Information
Eligibility: Students ages 8-22 that have intellectual disabilities and/or “functional limitations in both general learning and adaptive skills.” “Developmental disability is the term most often used to describe persons with both limitations.” (2006 SO Texas SIG)
Sports Offered: Bowling (Fall), Basketball (Winter), Athletics (Spring), Tennis (Spring), Soccer (Spring), and Aquatics (Summer).
- Bowling - Individual, ramp, and team bowling
- Basketball - Individual skills and team competition (younger 8-14, and older 15 & up)
- Athletics - Running, walking, throwing, and races for students in wheelchairs are a few examples of athletic events.
- Aquatics - Various races using proper strokes
- Tennis - Individual skills competition, singles, and doubles
- Soccer - Team competition
Latest Special Olympics Information
For the latest information and a current calendar of events, please visit:
For Highland Park ISD Special Olympics Volunteer Opportunities contact Jennifer Garrison at GarrisJ@hpisd.org
For General Special Olympics volunteer opportunities contact Katy Williams at KWilliams@sotx.org or visit www.sotx.org
Jennifer Garrison - Co-Head of Delegation
Betty Sue Welch - Co-Head of Delegation